Flood insurance and flat tires?
Flood insurance and flat tires? Have you ever eagerly anticipated a road trip that you have been planning all year? Maybe you are heading from Houston to the beautiful Texas Hill Country near Austin. Maybe you are going to San Antonio to introduce your kids to the history of The Alamo. Perhaps you are going camping in Big Bend or tubing on the Rio Grande River in Kerrville. Whatever your destination in our great state of Texas, you are excited because the drudgery of planning, organizing, scheduling, and packing is over, and the BIG day has arrived. You and the family are in the car heading out.
As you and your family happily enjoy the drive and the interesting pit-stops along the way, you hit a literal and figurative bump in the road. You pull over and confirm your fears. You have a flat tire.
Initially, you’re upset and fear the trip will be ruined, but, as you turn to look back at your children’s concerned faces staring at you through the car windows, you give them a big smile because you remember you need not worry. You have just the right insurance for such an event – a spare tire in the trunk!
Would you ever consider taking a road trip without a spare tire? Most people would laugh at the foolishness of such an irresponsible act. To travel without this simple but necessary item would be unwise. A small thing such as running over a nail in the road could thwart all your vacation plans as you must get a tow and find a nearby garage that has a spare that fits your automobile.
Well, just like road tripping without a spare tire, living in the Greater Houston area without insurance, or, with insurance, but not the PROPER insurance coverage, could be detrimental to everything you have worked so hard to acquire for you and your family.
Hurricane season begins June 1st.
Whether you are in Houston, Pearland, Sugar Land, Alvin, or anywhere in Fort Bend County, Harris County, Brazoria County, or Montgomery County, you know that you are vulnerable to heavy rains, high winds, and flooding that are no stranger to our Gulf Coast area. What can you do to ensure that you have a “spare” as you journey into this hurricane season? Here are some simple but important steps you can take:
- Purchase a Flood insurance policy. Most homeowners policies do not cover flooding from rising waters.
- Keep all your insurance policy documents in a safe, accessible location. Consider making digital copies to upload to the cloud.
- Know who you need to call in case you need to file a claim. Your independent insurance agent, such as those at Actsphere Insurance Group, can help you with this vital information.
- Consider putting your insurance agency on speed dial. They can guide you if the worst happens.
- Identify 2-3 reputable contractors in your area. Sadly, there are many fly-by-night contractors that surface when peril strikes.
- Identify a couple of water restoration companies in your area.
- For 4 & 5 above, ask your independent insurance agency if they have reputable contractor and water restoration company referrals for you
The above steps are just a few important things you can do to ensure you have a “spare” as we enter this hurricane season. We cannot stop bad weather from coming, but we can properly prepare for it and can make sure that our assets are properly covered in the event of disaster. So, have you took care of your flood insurance and flat tires?
Actsphere Insurance Group is an independent insurance agency that can find you a policy that is just right for you. We can compare coverage options and prices from among many different insurance carriers to find you exactly what you need for the peace of mind that comes with knowing you are traveling into this Texas hurricane season with a quality spare. Contact us today!